There is a lot to be said about motivation. One of the most prevalent aspects of motivation is finding it. The funny thing about that is that is all around us. It’s in songs we hear, speeches, acts that we see, people we see, tv shows and yes, movies. Here is a list of my top 10 most motivating movies that makes me want to get off the couch and bench press a rhino.
10. The Program – This is a rather dramatic film for a football flick but when you see Lattimer (the roided out psycho) lifting weights in the weight room and then smashing his face into car windows you can’t help but be a little motivated to move. There are a few other motivating moments in the movie, but not many, which is why this movie ranks #10. This movie also brings back the worst nightmares of the 90s clothing style.
9. Fight Club – This is a movie which is all inspiring, at least in a devilish way. With all the realistic fight scenes in this move you feel compelled to go get in a fight yourself. Here is a better thought. Instead of hurting someone else, go pound on the iron plates.
8. The Pursuit of happiness – Few movies are as inspiring as this one. The only reason this movie ranks #8 here is because this movie motivates you more to succeed in life in general rather than hit the gym. The best part of this movie is when Will Smith tells his son “Hey. Don’t ever let somebody tell you… You can’t do something. Not even me. All right?”, then continues on with “You got a dream… You gotta protect it. People can’t do somethin’ themselves, they wanna tell you you can’t do it. If you want somethin’, go get it. Period.”
7. Invincible – This is a story of triumph. One man has to fight odds and expectation to make it in a world with younger competitors. What about that scenario doesn’t want to make you get up and workout right now? Oh and how joyous when he rises!
6. Varsity Blues – This movie is more of a younger crowd movie, but the music and most of the actual football footage was great. Even though it has that James Van Der Beek, Dawson Creek vibe to it, there are some definite motivating moments to this one.
5. Black Hawk Down – Now being a military man myself, how could I leave out the military movies? Black Hawk Down makes this list because every time I watch this a little fire gets lit inside and I just feel pissed off and want to crush something. Plyometric workout anyone?
4. Braveheart – Mel Gibson has this way about him that can just bring the fury from inside, bring it to a boil and cause you to start doing laps around the couch. The two moments that get me are when his wife was killed and the speech before battle.
3. Any Given Sunday – Al Pachino delivers a great speech about inches that can motivate even the most docile of creatures. The last time I watched this my gold fish started jumping out of their tank.
2. Rocky IV – Rocky four was in my opinion the pivotal point where Rocky turn from sludgy to the ripped monster that takes down the Russian Giant. Both Stallone and Lundgren both take you on a huge adrenaline trip while they are training for their fight, which by itself would be enough, but to top it off you even get the Russian telling off his own government, saying “I fight to win, for me, For me!” of course he was speaking Russian, but the subtitles were just as moving.
1. 300 – Now do I really need to say why this movie is motivating? If you have seen this movie you’d know that even the trip King Leonidas takes to visit the ephors is motivating. Seeing Gerard climb that mountain makes you want to go out and climb one too. This movie is chalk full of visually striking scenes and motivating dialog. “THIS IS SPARTA” and “This is where we fight… This is where they die!” and much more come from this movie. Damn, I need to go so I can watch this one again.
This is a list based on my opinion (which changes a lot) of movies that move me. Do you have any movies that move you? Let me know what they are in the comments below!